Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome

This blog was created to document my adventures with BeagleBoard for my own reference; as well as anyone else who is considering a project using the BeagleBoard, and would like to hear about my experience.

My first project is a factory automation application. I prototyped part of the project with a PC running Linux, and plan to replicate my work on the BeagleBoard. Specifically, I need to:
  1. Interface to a webcam to capture video frames at 30 frames/sec, and perform some analysis on the image;
  2. Interface to an external piece of equipment using the serial port;
  3. Control at least (2) stepper motors;
  4. Possibly interface to 1 or 2 external sensors (TBD).

The BeagleBoard was chosen for this project for: its small size, "hackability" (GPIO's, PWM's, I2C, etc are brought out to headers), relatively low cost, and most importantly, its support for Linux (it looks like Ubuntu should run out of the box).

I'll try to document aspects of this project that might help myself replicate what I've done here for application to other projects; or someone else get started with their own project.

So let's get started!

PS: The title of this post comes from a song by the Boards of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment